Wednesday 14 December 2011

What The Amish Can Teach Us

I think you can learn a lot from other religions, not just your own. Hinduism is quite an open religion, in the sense that they are open to learning new ideas and beliefs from other religions. They never condemn other religions and are happy to accept people of different faiths. I would like to think I am as open and accepting as this. I am also willing to learn about different beliefs and faiths, and be willing to add any aspects of their practice or beliefs into my own set of beliefs and practices. I see nothing wrong with this, and believe it is both helpful to me, and others.


I have recently been watching Living with the Amish on Channel 4, after watching the previous series of Amish: World's Squarest Teenagers, I have become fascinated with the Amish culture, what they believe and how they choose to live their life. I know they are Christian in their beliefs, but have chosen to try and get back to the oldest, most pure form of their religion. They live as people did hundreds of years ago. Unable to continue practising their religion in this way in Europe, they chose to emigrate to America, where they have been practising their religion in peace on their own land there ever since. Over the course of watching these two series, these are some of the things the Amish have taught me...
  • Living close to nature is a way of living closer to God

  • Freedom to express my religion is important to me

  • Respect for one another is very important - never judge, condemn or get angry with other people

  • Everyone has value, everyone should be respected

  • We can choose to dress with modesty - there is no need for make-up or to follow fashion if we so choose - we are all equal.

  • Following your own morals is important - Never give in to peer pressure, choose what is right for you

  • Hard work is good for you

  • Household chores can be enjoyed more if you do them with love - think of who you are doing this for (yourself or others)

  • Think not what other people can do for you, but what you can do for other people.

  • I can choose how much I want to let "The World" into and effect my life. I can choose to shut the media, news, violence and sex out of my life if I choose - simply by refusing to use certain technologies
I am not saying that this is the only way to live, or that it is the perfect way to live. Everyone must choose their own path. But I personally might like to read the Bible, to learn more what it teaches. As a moral tool, I think it has value. Whether it illustrates my religious beliefs, perhaps not. But I don't think it does any harm to understand another person's beliefs, and to show a little more compassion, understanding, and respect for other people's beliefs.

I know that I personally can all too easily make judgments and look down on other people. The Amish teach you to show respect and kindness for others. And it is from their Bible that they discover these teachings. I am enjoying looking at another way of life, and learning from it, so that maybe I can grow as a person, and develop my own moral system.


Paganism in general is about nature, honouring and respect for nature and/or the deities and spirits that represent them. In this, Amish and Pagans have something in common. The Amish believe Gods made all of nature, so it is sacred; and Pagans believe God (or gods) are nature, so again it is sacred.

The Channel 4 website states that "...the Amish families taking part in the series hope that it will reveal the advantages of a pure, uncluttered way of life." Perhaps we are all too easily distracted by our use of technology and media constantly in our face? I know my family gets distracted by politics, events happening in the news, music on the radio. I get distracted by emails, Facebook account updates, even adverts on my Hotmail web page when I'm wanting to check my emails. I am so used to living amidst technology, that I sometimes cannot see the wood for the trees. I miss what should be most important to me, my family and my faith. If we slow down and soak up the moment, perhaps try enjoying the simple things, we will no doubt enjoy life much more. Can you imagine spending a week without television, internet, radio, emails and phone? And maybe the only music or reading you could enjoy would be religious music (Christian or Pagan songs, depending on your faith), and the Bible / Pagan book. Life would seem very different, and I wonder if we would appreciate it more? I think it is the Jews who have a holy day each Sunday, I think they call it the Shabbat/Sabbat? They are not allowed to do any work on that day, or use any electrical devices, machines or equipment. All food must be cooked and prepared the day before, and no work at all. It sounds like a holiday. But it also sounds peaceful, and a magical way to spend the day.


There is definitely much other religions can teach us, and as we choose an eclectic path, we may pick and choose to add to our own personal blend of Paganism. For we are individuals, and so our faith and practice must be as individual as we are. Even the Amish have different orders and denominations for the different rules that they prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment