Saturday 16 June 2012

Defining my path

I haven’t decided on any particular tradition as yet. I am interested in regaining the ancient pagan religion of my land (England).  At first I thought this would be Celtic paganism, though I have also discovered that those who travelled from the North (the Vikings) came into Scotland and worked their way south into Northumbria were of Norse Paganism.  Then you have the Romans who came along with their gods and traditions, and also there is some interest in the Greek Gods and Goddesses. 
·         Celtic Paganism
·         Norse (aka Heathenism, Asatru)
·         Roman
·         Greek
There are elements of all these traditions that interest me, in some it is their deities, their beliefs, their festivals, and their practices at home, etc.  There are also some other traditions that intrigue me, and I would like to learn more about them to incorporate into my path, namely the following:
·         Native American
·         Vodoun / Hoodoo / Voodoo
·         Hindu
·         Amish
I would like to learn more about each of these traditions deities, beliefs, festivals and practices, and adopt any I like into my own spiritual path.  I understand that Hindu’s , and some other spiritual paths, are keen to adopt other faiths practices and beliefs, incorporating them into their own.  In a sense, I have this vast background of various paths and traditions that have been in my country, and through this modern age of internet and travel, I have learnt about other spiritual traditions from across the globe.  And these too can be incorporated into my spiritual path. 
I guess you’d call my path pretty eclectic, but then my country is now very diverse and eclectic in it’s newfound culture, and it has been this way throughout the centuries of mankind living here.  So it makes sense to me that a modern pagan tradition in England would be a blend of different cultural and religious traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment