Tuesday 21 June 2011

Summer Solstice


Today is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. But how should you celebrate it? Well, to understand how to celebrate it, I think you need to know what the occasion is all about. From what I have been able to garner online, the Summer Solstice is a celebration of life, of nature, and if you're inclined to include deities in your path, then it is the time of the God, associated with the Summer, the Sun, courage and strength. The Summer Solstice is a celebration of nature, of being alive in this wonderfully abundant time of year. Throughout the years, this has been celebrated in many towns and villages with parades and carnivals, there are even summer solstice parades in LA, beautiful colourful parades, people dressing up and expressing their pleasure in being alive.




For me, the best way I imagine to celebrate this solstice, is to enjoy the sunshine as much as possible. Get out in the garden, to the local park, anywhere outdoors you can appreciate the warmth and the light. Traditionally, the Summer Solstice has been celebrated with music and dancing, people making merry and feasting to celebrate the abundance of food now. As this is also known as a fire festival, you can light candles, celebrating your chosen patron god's warmth and light at this time of the year. You can decorate an altar dedicated to your god with warm golds, yellows and reds, recognising the fire element.



Many people believe the summer solstice begins the night before at dusk, as the sun sets. Midsummer's Eve is when they embark on merry making, having bonfires outdoors, much celebration and revelry right through the night, as they stay up to see the sunrise the next morning, welcoming the sun into their life on the longest day of the year, when the sun is at it's strongest. It is also said that the veil between this world and the spirit world is at it's thinnest on Midsummer's Eve, as it is also on Samhain (All Hallows Eve).




I haven't specifically marked the Summer Solstice this year, but I am starting to explore the festivals in the wheel of the year, begin to understand them and choose what I would like to do to honour and mark the occasions. I am taking baby steps at the moment and gradually introducing the festivals into my life. I don't want to rush to celebrate them and attempt elaborate rituals when I don't fully understand what I am doing!

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! Please feel free to let me know what you have been doing with a comment below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment