Sunday 26 June 2011

Magpie

Yesterday I was travelling through the countryside and thinking a lot of my Pagan Path and what I want to believe in. And whilst I was doing so all I could see all around me were Magpies. I haven't seen them quite so much following me around and always being there since I was last investigating a Pagan Path. It's like they're trying to tell me something, but I'm not quite sure what. I've been searching the internet to try and find the meaning of them. I often came across this cute rhyme that is so well known across the British Isles:


One for sorrow
Two for Joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told
Eight to wish
Nine to kiss
Ten is a bird you won't want to miss


The Magpies I saw so much of yesterday came in pairs, and some singly, throughout the day. It's almost as if they all specifically came out to see me, or show themselves to me. So after some searching, I have discovered on Wikipedia that Magpies, a member of the Corvid (Crow) family, are one of the most intelligent birds, and are considered to be one of the most intelligent of all animals. They have shown they can recognise their own reflections in mirrors, and have even used tools to clean their cages when kept in captivity. They are somewhat houseproud creating clever dome shaped nests high up in trees, and collecting shiny objects, which no doubt look pleasing to their eye.

Magpies are associated with omens and prophecies, probably mostly due to the rhyme above. In China Magpies are seen as a sign of good fortune, although in other countries they can be seen as a bad omen as well as a good omen. In England, if you see a Magpie alone then it is said you should greet them and acknowledge them to prevent bad luck. But if a Magpie looks you directly in the eye, he shows he respects you, and you do not need to greet him.

Magpies are often considered a thief, in Norway and Sweden especially they are considered to be associated with witchcraft. So perhaps I am seeing these birds more as I am redeveloping an interest in paganism which again can relate to witchcraft. There is also another reason I may be seeing them more - Magpies are associated with the month of April - the month of my birth. Could this even be my totem animal? I have seen Magpies a lot over the last 20 years, they have always lived closely around my house. Could this be the link? Whatever it is, I do love Magpies, and am always pleased to see them. Thank you for bringing joy into my life, beautiful, intelligent Magpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment